Sunday 10 April 2011

My first melodic minor lick


Continuing with my battle to unveil the secrets behind the altered scale, I came up with the lick of this post.

I was trying to develop new ideas in a mix of notes that came to my mind with the geometry of the scale. Then this lick started to get shape, but wasn't sounding dominant but minor though.

I then remembered that the altered scale has exactly the same of the melodic minor scale half tone upper. In my case, I was practicing over the notes of G altered, which has the same notes of Ab melodic minor. I shifted all the notes half tone up, just to make it over the key of minor A, instead of the odd key of minor Ab.

The result can be seem in the picture below. However as I'm very bad in transcribing the notes to the score - specially the time intervals - I put an audio sample in this post, just to make sure I'm expressing myself more clearly and I'll not forget the lick later.


One interesting aspect of this lick is regarding the time division. Instead of starting playing in the first sixteenth  note straight away, there's a small pause in the begging. So instead of something like counting the four time intervals per whole time (like 1, 2, 3, 4), I started it from the second or third (like 2, 3, 4, 1, where the 1 is in the first interval of the next bar if I can say that). Ok this is a bit confusing, even for me, there are some nomenclature I don´t remember and on the top that it my English is not good enough to express what I want now. Hopefully the audio will speak for itself.

Melodic minor lick - audio
The audio quality is not good, but can give you an idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment